Floors Castle lies on the river Tweed in Roxburghshire, south-east Scotland and is a country house rather than a fortress. It was built in the 1720s by the architect William Adam and later the plain Georgian mansion was embellished with turrets and battlements. The name of the Castle is thought to come either from 'flowers' or from the 'floors', or terraces, on which the castle is built. The lands of Floors were originally held by the monks of Kelso Abbey, until they were handed to the first Earl of Roxburghe by King James VI for his role in securing the Union of England and Scotland in 1707.
Postcode - TD5 7SF